Do you know a rep that has gone the extra mile?
We have now opened nominations for the Get Active 2014 rep of the year awards.
What is the purpose of the awards?
UNISON offers the awards to recognise the importance of trade union representatives who are stewards, health & safety reps, learning reps or equality reps in building the trade union movement and making a real difference to the working lives of their members.
The purpose of the awards is to recognise the contribution that representatives make generally. Trade union reps are of course volunteers and do a difficult job and make a huge contribution in terms of time, commitment, effort and results which deserves to be celebrated. The awards also serve to highlight the work of specific reps in one or more key areas of union work, such as;
- Protecting workers rights;
- Improving pay and conditions at work;
- Engaging with the community, or working with councillors and MP's on political issues;
- Organising and recruitment of members;
- Protecting the health and safety of members;
- Creating learning opportunities;
- Promoting equality and fairness in the workplace;
- Dealing with other complex workplace issues such as pensions, redundancy, individual casework or privatisation.
The awards will be presented at our annual awards ceremony, to be held at Somerset Cricket Club on Friday 24th January 2014 and will be followed by workshops on Saturday 25th January 2014.
Nominations can be made up until 5pm on Friday 6th December 2013.